Thursday, August 27, 2009

Two Boots

Photobucket

There's a Two Boots a couple blocks away from where I live in Echo Park. Walkable Pizza. Folks, this could be dangerous...

Photobucket

I didn't hate Two Boots the last few times I had it in New York and I was curious to see if this version would be different. They have Pepsi here, not Coke. Is that different? I don't even know.

Photobucket

The setup is exactly the same as it is in NY, in terms of the menu and specialty pies. It's got an over the top interior with this huge mural on one wall that's like...of what?

Photobucket

There's plenty of seating inside and also outdoor seating if you wanna eat there and at least it's above street level.

Photobucket

Alissa and I each got a plain slice and then shared the Verde e Bianco (spinach, ricotta, garlic - no red sauce).
Photobucket
Hello!

Photobucket

We asked the girl working behind the counter to cut this slice in half for us...it's like she started out okay and then got distracted.

Ok, let's go. The plain slice... you got the typical Two Boots style cornmeal dusted crust which is too much cornmeal in my opinion, but that's their signature. I can handle it, I know what I'm getting into there. But the crust was tough to chew - I couldn't even eat the fat end crust because it felt like too much exercise for my jaw. And there was no sauce. None. There was red stuff, but I couldn't find any sauce. I lifted the cheese to look at what was underneath -- it wasn't there. Where was it? Usually I'll lift the cheese and dip my finger in the sauce so I know what it tastes like on it's own, and I couldn't do that. Seriously, this was a shitty slice, I gotta be honest. Then I regretted getting the white slice since I was already sauce deprived. It was dry and had the same issue with the tough crust. Totally edible, but not "good" pizza in any way.

**Update **
I went back last night and had some of Alissa's plain slice that was sauce heavy and goooood. (The beer I drank before I had it possibly contributed to making this bite exceptional). And while there was too much sauce for Alissa, I thought it was the right amount - and it was tangy and spicy, just how it is at home. Definitely not my favorite style of sauce but consistent with the Two Boots style. So I'm confused now, honestly, about how I feel. Like, I guess I need to go there one more time and make that slice the deciding factor? I really just think there needs to be consistency in the quality otherwise, I'll go somewhere else.

Two Boots
1818 W. Sunset Blvd (btwn Glendale and Lemoyne)
Los Angeles, CA 90026

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pizza Partners

About Me

My photo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7S8izPaKKE