Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Tomato Pie Pizza Joint

Photobucket
I don't know how to take pictures at night

Oh my. First of all I have to say I love this place for calling itself a "pizza joint."
Lauren came to visit and we got PIIIIIIIIZZA!!! Farnosh and Alissa went to this place a couple of day earlier and recommended it. Let me tell you why...IT"S AWESOME! yumma yumma. It's good they knew about it because it's a little off the main road and what you do see from the street makes it look like it's closed. But it's not - just park in their lot on Tracy Street if you go and you'll see.
Photobucket

It's cute because you can sit outside on patio furniture away from the street.
Photobucket

...Which is good because the inside is seriously tiny.
Photobucket

Lauren and I split a plain slice and a Mediterranean slice (spinach, roma tomato, zucchini, corn, kalamata and black olives, feta). They cut them in half for us so I didnt get to take a pic of the whole slice. OK.
FYI When you get two slices you get a small soda for $0.50...good deal.
Photobucket
I'm not so much into the idea of corn on pizza, but honestly I didn't think about it, and I didn't taste it either. It was so good. The plain slice was great as well. A slightly sweet sauce but not in an overpowering way and everything just seemed really fresh. We then went on to also share the Grandma slice (crushed marinated tomatoes instead of sauce, basically - rated the 7th best pizza in the world by GQ - debatable) and the eponymous tomato pie (no mozzarella but grated Romano on a Sicilian slice). Was too into the pizza go remember to take pics. Sorry.
So I don't think I can even get into it as much as I'm supposed to, but I loved all the slices I tried. The crust was just right on all of them, not too thin, not too doughy, a good amount of salt, not undercooked! Pretty crispy. I went into this LA pizza blogging with the intention of not comparing LA pizza to NY pizza, rather just to itself, but for the sake of full discretion still need to mention that this is the closest to NY pizza that I've had. And maybe that's what I'm into, and maybe you're into it too. I don't know.
The ingredients were all really fresh, the pies were right out of the oven, the owner Garrett was really nice and even offered me pizza making lessons which I was of course too shy to take him up on. Another time, perhaps.
Oh, so when you order here at the counter, you don't wait around at the counter for your shit to be ready, you go sit down and they bring it to you. They thought we were weirdos.


Tomato Pie Pizza Joint
2457 Hyperion Ave (at Tracy St)
Los Angeles, CA 90027

1 comment:

  1. Joanna, Thank you for reviewing this place. I live in the neighborhood and order delivery every so often but never went there in person. Love the 2 Slice + .50¢ bottomless soda. It's all you say in more.

    They really need to do something about first impressions... they look closed but if you go around back, surprise, they really are open. I wonder how many people go away thinking they're closed?

    Thanks again. Jim

    ReplyDelete

Pizza Partners

About Me

My photo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7S8izPaKKE